Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Diet Tips

Hello blogging world! I have been trying a new diet out this week and I have great news! I have already lost 2.6 pounds! I still have a goal of losing so much more, but I am very excited that I have had such a small success so far! So, this is what I am doing.

I first went online and looked into what my Body Mass Index number was. I did not feel like I was that overweight but, with this number I was told that I was very overweight! SCARY! This will help you know what weight is good for you once you hit a healthy number in your BMI score. I am 5'2" and I should weigh 135 pounds at the highest end. I have a long way to go guys!

I am watching my calories and using the weight watchers program to evaluate the foods that I am eating. Looking at the calorie side of a diet is so interesting to me. I am cruching numbers and losing weight! (That just sounds like me doesn't it?) So, if you are a woman and you weigh 170 pounds you would multiply your weight by 12. (Men mulitply by 14; Women multiply by 12) So you take your Weight X 12 = Calories per day. This amount would allow you to maintain your weight. There is 3,500 calories in a pound so if you wanted to lose 2 pounds a week you would decrease your calorie intake by 1,000 calories per day. In other words you would decrease your consumption of calories by 7,000 per week. This is to lose 2 pounds a week without working out! AWESOME! So, I am looking at my weight (which is it changing everyday) and making sure that I reduce my intake by 1,000 calories a day to make sure I lose the 2 pounds a week.

Next, I am using the weight watchers program to gage how many points I am eating a day and how many points each meal is costing me. If you are not familar with the weight watchers program I am going to explain how to get your point limit per day plus I will give you a web address on where to find a free weight loss calculator. First lets talk about how to find your points per day.

Give yourself points for the following:
Female: 2 points
Male: 8 points

Age:
17 to 26: 4 points
27 to 37: 3 points
38 to 47: 2 points
48 to 57: 1 point
58 and over: 0 points

Take these points and also add them to these numbers.

Weigh yourself on a scale. Take the first two numbers of this weight and add them to the points you have so far.
For example, a 38-year old man who weighs 220 pounds would add 22 to his overall points for a total of 32 points. (8+2+22=32)

Determine the amount of
exercise you engage in each day.

If you don't exercise, do not give yourself any points.
If you stand for much of the day, give yourself 2 points.
If you walk throughout the day, give yourself 4 points.
If you engage in at least 20 minutes of exercise each day, give yourself 6 points.


Add these points to your total. This is the number of points you're allowed to eat each day. All foods are assigned a point value based on their
fiber content and the number of calories per serving.

Here is a link to how to calculate the points for everything that you eat for weight watchers.

http://www.webmilhouse.com/pointcalc.php

I am also drinking 16 oz. of green tea a day. One 8 oz. glass of green tea burns 70 calories! That is awesome! I am also making sure that I drink at least 80 oz. of plain water a day. I have a brita water filter and I carry the 80 oz. with me to work to make sure that I get it all in me!

I have also started replacing a meal a day with a protein shake that is 4 points on weight watchers program and about 280 calories per shake. I have been going to the Health Solutions Wellness Center in Waynesville and working with Heather Broom who is a wellness coach. She actually has a protein shake bar in the wellness center and you can stop in and get a shake for lunch with a green tea too! You can also do like I have and buy the shakes and make them at home. Her website is
www.healthsolutionswc.com ! Check out her website and see what amazing shakes she has on her menu!

Happy Dieting Bloggers! ~ Sheena

No comments:

Post a Comment